If you plan to add content to or customize a Skills Network course, it is recommended that you first "clone" the course and make changes to the cloned version of the course. This will ensure that any changes you have made, do not get overwritten when course updates are pulled from the Skills Network catalog.
In order to clone a course, perform the following steps:
- Create a new Course in open edX Studio (see this article on how to do so). When creating the set the course name/org/run so that it can be differentiated from the original course.
- Export the course you want to clone. In Studio, go to the desired course. In the Tools menu choose Export and save the tar file on your computer.
- Import the course file. In Studio go into the new Course you created in Step 1. Then go to Tools menu and click on Import. Then choose the tar file you saved in step 2. Depending on the size of the course, it may take a few seconds to a few minutes for the import to complete.
- (Optional) Make your edits/changes to the new course.
- Hide the original course so your learners do not see two versions of the same course in the catalog and get confused. Refer to this article on how to hide a course.